border image

Thurlby Community Primary School

the school the school the school

Welcome from the Headteacher

Thurlby Community Primary School is a mixed infant and junior school, for children aged between 4 and 11 years from the village of Thurlby and surrounding areas. Over recent years the school has had an average of 200 pupils on roll.

The previous Thurlby School was built in 1878 and occupied a site on Station Road. The school consisted of four classrooms, which eventually became inadequate to accommodate our ever-increasing population and so in 1979 was split into two parts. The infant school then occupied mobile classrooms in Lawrance Park whilst the junior school remained in Station Road.

In 1987 infants and juniors were reunited on the present site when the existing building was completed. An increase in local building and the popularity of our school has resulted in the need for additional accommodation; hence in 2000 two new classrooms came into use and were officially opened in 2001. The school was further developed during 2012 by the addition of a new library. Our school badge depicts the school bell in the tower exactly as it appeared in the original school. The bell now hangs in the library and is rung on the last day of the school year by departing Year 6 children.

The aim of Thurlby School is to provide an education which, through the promotion of high standards, allows every child to fulfil his or her potential to the maximum, and prepares pupils for life beyond the school.

We strive to achieve our aim by offering a broad and balanced curriculum taught through a variety of teaching strategies, without neglecting the important values of discipline, courtesy and good manners. Our educational philosophy is one of “expectation and achievement”, and our ethos and learning environment retain the traditional warmth of the village school.